Just as expected and true to the indications of earlier leaks, Samsung Wowed attendants at the ongoing IFA 2016 in Berlin with the official announcement of its next generation Gear S smartwatches – the Gear S3.
Coming in two variants – the Classic and Frontier, one can immediately notice that Samsung indeed took its time in listening to critics and customers of its previous Gear S watches to come out with something more fashionable and less geeky this time around.
This year’s S3 watches are as a result of in depth design collaborations involving Samsung and renowned watch designers – Yvan Arpa and Arik Levyu. Their inputs are indeed noticeable in the case, straps and watchface designs altogether. The watches now seem to appeal to a wider fashion-inclined market .
Improvements we’ve observed in the new Gear S3 include:
• Stronger and clearer AMOLED display protected by the new Corning Gorilla Glass SR. This makes it toughened and more resistant to scratches.
• Improved watchface designs with Always-On mode. This allows the real colour of the watchface to remain always on as against the black and white watch hands of past models.
• Bigger and better battery life, with a new 380mAh battery now onboard that sees it last 3-4days on a single charge. A new power saving mode also features now to switch the S3 to a traditional wristwatch with no connectivity and smart notifications whatsoever.
• NFC functionality to see a customised version of Samsung Pay perform even more effectively.
• 1.3in 360×360 Full Colour AMOLED screen
• 1GHz Dual Core Exynos CPU
• 768MB RAM, 4GB ROM
• Water and Dust resistant
• SIM card support
• Accelerometer, Gyroscope sensors
• Tizen OS
• 380mAh battery(3-4days) with wireless charging support
• Expected to hit international markets from this week at a $299 price tag.